Now we know the benefits to staying hydrated (if you missed the blog on the importance of hydration, click here).
Just because we know the importance of it, doesn’t mean it’s easy to do. Just like anything else, making sure you’re drinking enough water is something that needs to become a habit. With all of the drink options out there, it can be difficult!
So, first things first: How much water do you need every day?
There actually isn’t really a set amount that we recommend. We sometimes hear "Drink half your body weight in ounces" or "Drink 8 cups a day."
What’s really more effective than a number is checking the toilet!
You should aim to urinate near clear by early afternoon each day. If that’s not happening on a regular basis, you should consider increasing your water intake.
“Okay great, but HOW do I make sure I don’t get to dinner time and realize I’ve only had one cup of water?!”
Glad you asked! Here are some tips you can use:
- Start your day with a glass of water. Put the glass out the night before, or have it next to your bed. Make that the very first thing you do.
- Drink one glass of water with every meal, and drink one glass in between each meal. This will also help with digestion as an added benefit!
- Have a water bottle with you at all times. Remove the excuse that you didn’t have water to drink!
- Flavor your water with fruit or sugar free sweeteners. We get it, water can be blah. Add in some flavor!
- Drink seltzer. If you crave the carbonation, mix it up with some seltzer!
Now that you have 5 tips to start getting some water in, our recommendation is to pick 1 of them. Pick the one that seems the easiest for you to implement, and spend a whole month implementing it!