At SOAR, we are big on creating sustainable habits that help with creating a sustainable lifestyle. What we have seen, and what we know to be true is that it’s the simple things that help to make the biggest difference.
Why? They help to create habits and habits lead to consistency. Consistency over a long time is where real change happens.
Here are 5 things you can start with today to improve your health and longevity.
1. Walking: your body is meant to move, and movement leads to longevity. It also helps with managing stress, joint health, and much more. Maybe it’s a 5 minute walk. Maybe you already walk regularly, and you’re going to add another 10 minutes or add another day. Make it intentional and start small, but just start.
2. Sleep: ideally you’re getting 8 hours of quality sleep a night. Your body regenerates and recovers when you sleep. If you don’t create a space for this to happen, you’re undoubtedly negatively affecting your health (sorry new moms and dads, do the best you can!). Try to get to bed 20-30 minutes earlier until you’ve built up to 8 hours per night. Already sleeping 8 hours? How’s the quality? Make sure your room is dark and cool.Make it intentional and start small, but just start.
3. Hydrate: your body needs water. It helps your joints, your brain, your muscles, everything. You should be urinating clear by early afternoon. Start by drinking a glass of water right when you wake up. Add a glass at each meal. Then a glass in between meals. Make it intentional and start small, but just start.
4. Breathe: you do this all day every day (obviously), the catch here is to mostly (95% of the time) breathe through your nose. Your nose was meant for breathing; it moisturizes, cools, and filters the air. It also lets your nervous system know you’re in a state of calm which helps with stress. If you naturally breathe through your nose, try doing it when you exercise. If you naturally breathe through your mouth, pick a few times a day to focus on breathing through your nose (like on a walk). Make it intentional and start small, but just start.
5. Eat: you also do this every day. Eating mostly whole foods is the best thing you can do for your body in terms of fuel. Foods like vegetables, fruits, starches grown from the ground like potatoes, fats, and animal protein. If you eat mostly processed foods now, start small and add one type of whole food to each meal. Already eating mostly whole foods? Add some more variety or take a look at how you feel. Are you eating enough? Make it intentional and start small, but just start.
We gave you 5 things on this list, but trying to do all 5 at once can be overwhelming. Pick one thing from this list that you feel confident you can start implementing, and give it a go. Once it becomes a habit, come back to this list and pick something else.
Make it intentional and start small, but just start.